Saturday, 28 May 2011

1930s quilt - update

The 1930s reproduction fabric quilt I'm making for my great aunt for her 90th is progressing, which is just as well as the deadline is 17 June.  (That would be 19 days from now!)

The quilt top is now pieced and appliqued, with ric rac added for authenticity.  Initially I just sewed rows of squares but got frustrated with the less than perfect corner joins as I put rows together.

That's when I discovered 2.5" Quilter's Easel foundation piecing sheets. Genius!  It really makes it easy to get those perfect points and is as simple as cut, place, press, sew. Okay, maybe it took a few hours (days) between 'place' and 'press' when I had the floor covered in order to work out no single fabric was repeated too close to itself, but isn't that half the fun of quilting? LOL.

This week I'll be batting and backing and machine quilting. I've decided to make it in up in two quilt-as-you-go sections to reduce bulk while I free motion quilt, and will then be attempting to create a flawless join. Wish me luck!  Will post more photos soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment