Sunday, 17 July 2011

The Grand Plan + Practical Guide to Patchwork


I'm very excited! I still have no voice but I am definitely on the mend, and yesterday I found this amazing book at StitchPlayroom and another piece of my grand plan fell into place. What grand plan? Let me tell you!

Ever since I saw Julie vs Julia, the fab story of a blogger and a cookbook, I've had this idea to do the same. No, I'm not planning to cook my way through the extraordinary Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking



Nor am I going to jump on the popular bandwagon that is sweeping the globe as (seemingly) thousands quilt along to The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt: Letters from 1920s Farm Wives and the 111 Blocks They Inspired.  This is a great book but just a bit intimidating and I'm not sure I want to get that fiddly.

My choice of a project to work my way through and blog about as I go, whilst simultaneously destashing my (not inconsiderable) fabric collection (which I may or may not have added to yesterday - a

Huge Kaffe Shipment has arrived instore!

at StitchPlayroom - don't ask and I won't tell), is the amazing Practical Guide to Patchwork by Elizabeth Hartman. If you haven't stopped by her website, Oh Frannson!, and you are a fan of modern quilting, click here now!   


Elizabeth's book is beautifully written, so easy to follow, and uses fresh modern fabrics in gorgeous ways. There are 12 projects to make, each with alternative colourway suggestions or quilting options. Plenty to keep me busy.  Fenella at StitchPlayroom is already working on 'Valentine' and its looking terrific! She'll have it up in the shop soon for all to gaze at and enjoy.  

Oooh, I know I've got some lovely french fabrics that would look awesome made up as 'Planetarium'. And all those japanese fabrics...come on down 'Small Plates'.  Mmmm, my Kaffe and Amy Butler collections would equally be gorgeous made up as 'Rain or Shine'...



And Rural Jardin, I think you were made for 'Superstar!' ...


Then there's my Moda Make Life and Pure charm packs...



oh and my Marimekkos...

and the new Anthology pack that should be arriving from Pink Castle Fabrics any day...


and all the spots and dots I've been amassing.  Then there's my stack of Valori Wells brushed cottons...  


LOL! Its going to be fantastic!

To be fair, I'm not sure when I'll find a moment to work on this grand plan, exactly, as I am supposed to be studying full time for my degree, and working full time too, but where there's a will there's a way! So watch this space. 

Right, I'm off to read my new book again now and scheme and plan and dream.  Like my new favorite quote says, 

"For Maximum Results with Minimum Effort, you need only add a few stitches in bright colors."

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing your new projects. I am working with the Kaffe Fassett fabrics bought on Sunday at Stitch when I saw you. I loved seeing what Fenella was doing - what a great book!

    ReplyDelete