Saturday, 12 November 2011

Natalie's quilt

Natalie, my cousin, turns 21 in December.  I decided to make her a quilt for her birthday and here's what I came up with.  

The fabric is Snow Flower by FreeSpirit - 'a fun and whimsical collection that evokes the spirit of Winter and the promise of Spring'.  I started with a central panel that had several 11-inch vignettes in it. Then, using the Squaredy Cat approach, I pieced more vignettes using fabrics from the Snow Flower family plus a couple of ringers from my stash (spot the Amy Butler Moon Dots). 



I'd been wanting to do a grey-based quilt for ages so jumped at the chance to use a soft dove-grey for the sashing and borders. The back is made up of all the leftover fabric (no picture, sorry!).  

When it came to the quilting, I initially wanted to do a nice relaxed meandering free motion stitch all over.  I literally dreamed about it.  Unfortunately, on the day I was anything but relaxed and I just couldn't get the rhythm going.  I had loops on TOP of my fabric!  So, having 'reverse quilted' with my trusty quick unpick about 50m of thread, rethreaded, cleaned and defluffed my machine (unscrewed face plate and everything), changed the needle and rewound the bobbin without success, I conceded defeat and went with plan B -  echoing the clean lines and geometrics of the pieced top.  It's not ruler-perfect but I think the result is cool and I hope Natalie is pleased with it too.  


What this quilt taught me is that quilting is a lot like life.  Sometimes you don't end up where you thought you were going - and you are better, for it.  Sometimes the way you get to your destination is not how you planned - you need to 'sit loose in the saddle' and go with the flow, having the courage to change, otherwise you can get yourself into a real mess.  In the end, you can only be yourself - everyone else is taken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment