Wednesday, 10 July 2013

EPP Kaffe Hexagons

Today's post is to share progress on my current addiction...English Paper Pieced hexagons using Kaffe Fassett fabrics. It all started, as usual, down at my local quilt shop, Stitch, where I was introduced to the Sewline glue pen as a way to short-cut the EPP process. Rather than first basting the fabric round the template, you just glue the edges down. It takes seconds.

So I (finally!) broke into my Kaffe stash. I do love me some Kaffes. So rich and chaotic and bright! It makes me feel good working with these delicious fabrics - they are like a banquet for the soul. I decided not to fussy-cut, instead I barely unfolded the fat quarters, cutting through multiple layers at a time.

Before you know it, you're whip-stitching your hexagons together!



I elected to use a variegated thread as I am too lazy to change thread colours to match the fabrics every time they change. With Kaffe fabrics there are so many colours in each design that the variegated thread works surprisingly well, no matter the colourway.


Essential tools: my side table in the lounge features thread, glue pen, paper template, fabric, thimble, needle, scissors. (I've got some plastic, sticky dots that you stick on your finger in lieu of a thimble but I kept sticking the needle through them and jabbing my finger anyway so I resorted to the good old thimble this time).

My 'pattern' for a queen-sized bed quilt top involves creation of rows of 21 hexagons, made up of groups of 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1 different fabrics. There is randomness but it is organised. This seems to give the eye a place to settle and I like that. Each finished row is sewn to another. Once three rows are together, the papers from the middle row can come out and be recycled. You just need to leave one in at either end, for stability. The glue pen is special in that it leaves no residue on the fabric. I just ease the edges off the paper with my finger and then pop the template out. If I've caught the paper in my stitching, it takes a little tug to get them to release but the paper can still be reused. 

I'm using the curtain in the lounge as my design wall, auditioning finished rows against each other, looking at each row upside down or right side up, against this one and then that, to figure out which configuration I like most. 

In theory, its going to be 21 rows x 21 rows, maybe with a border. Not sure yet. It's a lovely project to be working on during cold winter evenings. 

Lil' Fluff, looking magnificent with a massive winter coat, has taken to sitting on the top of my chair as I stitch. She has expressed her approval of the design wall by not chewing on it or batting the rows with her paws. 

Bye for now, 
Happy Stitching!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh your hexagons look great on your design wall! How could Lil'Fluff not approve?

    ReplyDelete